Purpose of this Blog

Deuteronomy 6:5-7 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Out of control

That is what I have felt about parenting probably ever since the time I put Adeline in time out for the first time.  Who knew you had to discipline so young.  Taking away the peas after she spit them out was easy, but a defiant little angel is so perplexing.  So what does a girl do.  Pray, Pray, Pray. Talk with your hubby.  Read God’s Holy word.  Read other books.  So I guess I am apart of this cultures self help society and it hurts to semi admit that.  I don’t think I thought that before typing this.  I have bought or borrowed, emphasis on bought the following:

Grace Based Parenting by Dr. Tim Kimmel; My thoughts: We are children of a loving God that operated by grace so why shouldn’t we as parents.

Boundaries with Kids by Dr. Henry Could and Dr. John Townsend ;  My thoughts:  Kids love to have limits no matter the age, so why not allow them to have these in their life.  This was the first book I read that talked about consequences.

Making your child mind without loosing yours by Dr. Kevin Leman;  My thoughts:  A great book that probably combines the above two but by this point I needed very detailed examples.

Don’t make me count to three: A moms look at heart oriented discipline by Ginger Plowman (uses a lot of scripture);  My thoughts:  Love using the Bible in parenting.  I have to admitt I don’t know my scripture well enough to use it regularly in my discipline.  Maybe in a couple years. 

Raising a Modern Day Joseph by Larry Fowler;  My Thoughts:  I took interest in this as it is endorsed by Awana when Adeline started Awana.  It is AWESOME in keeping the end goal in mind.  Does your family have a mission statement?  What do you want your child to look like at age 30 and I don’t mean what profession (consider character and faith)?  It really makes sense to keep things in perspective and also makes it clear you have to have this long away goal in mind TODAY!  So start parenting with goals.  I want to read it’s companion:  How to Raise a Modern-Day Joseph: A Practical Guide for Growing Great Kids by Linda Massey Weddle

Love and Logic by Jim and Charles Fay (birth to 6yrs, though they have a sequel for older ages too);  My Thoughts: I do have to say that this has been the best help for me.  It could all be timing, but that is how God works too.  It gives real examples and uses consequences that make sense.  I am still learning the basics they teach and probably most importantly learning to use them consistently.

Children’s Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman; My thoughts:  I have only read a few pages, but as it states you really can’t apply it until they are a little older.  I believe the book said 5yrs old.  The adult version has been critical to my marriage and I will not miss reading this a little later.

Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Ted Tripp;   My thoughts:  Priceless, yet I can’t remember much from it.  I know I keep going back and rereading a couple chapters.  The heart is where we have to start to get the attitudes and all to line up with God.  If we only focus on behavior we very well could be missing the root of the problem and have children that behave out of fear and later rebel. 

Dare to Discipline by James Dobson My thoughts:  I hate to say I have only read a few chapters.  These chapters I have read several times.  I would like to reread this book.  Though using above Love and Logic right now seems to be working we have been shaped by this book and the Bible to know that disciplining is hard work that must be done.  This book is a tool in my tool belt for when it is needed in special circumstances.

Feathers from My Nest by Beth Moore  My thoughts:   Though not really a how to book it gives great insights into parenting in a very fun real life way.  Be ready to laugh and maybe cry a little too.  This is sort of Beth Moore’s reflections on raising her girls.

All this to say we have the sweetest girls: gifts from God that are full of love.  We love them dearly and only want to follow God’s direction in raising them.  Each child is different.  Every environment is different.  Praise God we rely on Him to raise these girls.  We only need to put forth our best effort to do so and leave the rest up to Him.

3 comments:

  1. This is great thank you!!! I can't wait to read Love and Logic, its been on my waiting list for a while now and this just pushed it up to the top. =) Thank you so much for sharing these! I am SO EXCITED about your new blog! How great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Teri! Thank you so much. I can't wait to read the Love and Logic too. I would agree with your assessments of the ones I've read as well (Shepherding, Don't make me count to three, Feathers from my nest, and Modern Day Joseph). Love that our God had the fore-thought to give us the body of Christ to do this parenting thing with! Thanks for your hard work, Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and just thought of you and this new blog as I was reading something.. maybe add it to blog frog and get a community going? I am sure many on there would be interested and could benefit from this too! =)

    ReplyDelete